Sunday, February 17, 2008

2/17/08 Old friends

This was a rare treat -- indeed, it's never happened before: a visit from my longtime friend Hillary! She and her daughter and son (ages 15 and 12) are visiting the West Coast for a few days, so we got to see them this morning.

After breakfast, Dave took the boys to the BMX park -- all of them, as Hillary's son joined them with his skateboard. Hill and her daughter and I chatted outside while Katrina took a nap, until her son called to say he was bored. Hillary and her daughter went to pick him up and then continued on Monterey for the rest of their trip.

It's been far too long, and the few hours we had to catch up only showed how much more time we need. But it's been that way for years; brief visits here and there, always leaving with 100 things more to say than were said -- and it will continue to be until we're not both bound by children's schedules. Hard to believe Hillary and I made friends when we were younger than Gabriel! I'm glad she finally had a chance to meet my children though, and that Julian was in Prince Charming mode (such a friendly little guy).

Gabriel was very excited by the blooms on the sad scrap that remains of our almond tree today.

We tried to go see the Willow Glen house I saw yesterday -- the whole family -- but, the open house had closed over a half hour early. How annoying!

Still, peeking in the windows, I was able to remind myself that one problem I'd have in this new house, again, is isolation in the kitchen, as it's not really connected to a family room. Better than what I have now, but a far cry from what I will have. I'm reluctant to move to avoid remodeling, and just end up needing to remodel anyway.

This house did have two bedrooms downstairs, one with its own bathroom, much like what we're planning on (though the Willow Glen house is over 4000 square feet, much larger than what we'll end up with). That same feature I'm toying with not doing, because it adds substantially to the costs.

The kids sure had fun looking at the outside of the house though. Katrina and her unsteady scramble cruised all up and down (and almost into) the street, while the boys played tag with the trees in front of the house.


OK, looks like we're staying and remodeling. Let the bleed begin. Gulp.

2/17/08

No comments: