Thursday, March 19, 2009

3/19/09 We moved!

Typing from Dave's computer here; most of the office is still in boxes.

WHAT a day. I don't think I've ever been so tired in my life. It went well, but moving is very very intense. I wanted SO much to just blow off the rest of the evening and go to bed, but, kids needed their beds made, clothes set out, and lunches made. It took hours to find everything needed just for those basic operations.

Kids were excited, all three had new beds in new places. Funny with the 3rd kid -- the transition from a crib to a bed, usually a big deal in a toddler's life, let alone in a new room in a new house was, "here ya go baby, good night!" She did fine. Katrina is a very adaptable person.

She's out of practice with stairs though, and not exactly a fast learner in the athletic department. "I scary!" But she got downstairs this morning herself, with some effort.

Boys are beside themselves about bunk beds. Julian's been sleeping on a crib mattress on the floor for months, since his toddler bed fell apart. For so long we knew we were moving that it wasn't worth upgrading his bed until we moved home, and now he finally has one. This is his first full-sized bed too.

A few problems though. NONE of the shower/baths in our new bathrooms work. That's THREE! One is only hot. One is only cold. And one is only lukewarm. It's like porridge! Fortunately one was "just right" -- the bathroom we already had, with my bathtub that I swore would never see a little boy's bare butt. Apparently we really do need four bathrooms. Gawd.

And our fancy new Bosch dishwasher doesn't dry dishes. They were dripping water this morning. Bug or feature?

And many of our phone and cable outlets, which we went to considerable expense and effort to have installed all over the house, don't work. No "Jon and Kate Plus Eight" in bed for me now!

But overall, we're really happy to be back here. I hadn't realized how confined I felt in our rental house. I like the taller ceilings, the ample windows, the wood floors, the second story, the multitude of spaces. I like walking around, I like the crazy way the spaces flow together. I like hanging out and looking around. That was the main reason we did this, something so intangible, yet so palpable. There's lots ahead, but it's mostly on our own time now.

And it only took Dave 20 minutes to drop everyone off this morning.

3/19/09

No comments: