Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas gift

I can't believe I forgot to post this photo on Christmas day, one of a very very special gift from my thoughtful (!) husband.


This is a beautiful all-wooden model of a B-17G, and its nose art is even that of the B-17 I flew on (the Nine O Nine). I just can't take my eyes off it.

The more stories I read of men (and a few women) who had experiences on these planes, the more it takes on a life of its own. Historically, it seems there is disagreement as to the effectiveness of the daylight precision bombing campaigns the B-17s were so instrumental in, but there's no question they had a huge role in many many veterans' experiences. Maybe I like it so much because it's so basic and so tough, not a star technically, nothing sleek or sexy to look at -- but eminently fixable, and brought so many guys home alive despite unspeakable damage.

I really, really hope the Collings Foundation will be flying the Wings Of Freedom tour again next year; I'll be the first to sign up for a flight on one of the very few B-17s still left flying. It won't be long before that part of military aviation history will be forever grounded. But at least I can see it captured in my living room every day now.

Gift-giving time is often a struggle for husbands, and Dave would be the first to say he's right up there in that category, but this was a really special, thoughtful and meaningful one to me. Thank you dear!

No comments: