Friday, April 16, 2010

4/16/2010 Putzy puck boys

I often scan the newspaper while having dinner -- it used to be that this was considered bad manners at the family table, but thanks to iPhones and Blackberrys, newspapers are now off the hit list of dividing families. Tonight, Gabriel picked up the San Jose Mercury News, and instead of going to the comics, he wanted to read the sports columnist. Sports column, really? From there he learned -- and I learned -- that our "local" hockey team is in the playoffs, and that there was a game tonight. In fact, puck drops in about 7 minutes.

"CAN WE WATCH MOM?!"

I never miss an opportunity to get them off their duffs. "OK, but only AFTER bath and teeth-brushing."

Gabriel was bathed, brushed, and PJ'd before the first face-off. This is nothing short of miraculous for a kid who can take 15 minutes just to take off his shoes. It's really remarkable how fast he can move when he decides that's what he wants to do. He's unbearably putzy and spacey most nights, but not this one. Julian only missed a few minutes of the game too. I like how hockey motivates kids.

However, I'm not that nice. I didn't want a nightmare of exhausted kids tomorrow, so, after (a very exciting!) first period, off to bed for boys.

I wonder, if they watched more TV at home, would it lose its power, or gain more, in motivating them?

4/16/2010

No comments: