Friday, October 22, 2010

10/22/2010 Extra-curriculars

This has been one of the most exhausting weeks I've ever had, physically and emotionally. It's work-related, which makes it all the worse, both to experience and to blog about. Why should work trouble be "emotional" ? In this case, partly because the circumstances are extraordinary. There's an investigative journalist article in my future, but for now, I'd just like to get back to work. I've also had a bad headache this whole week, reducing my energy, interfering with sleep and putting a big damper on everything.

Perhaps work becomes "emotional" because of the cost to the family. It's so so so hard to keep up with just the basic day-to-day activities. This week, Gabriel took a written test as part of a spelling bee elimination, and I had no time to prepare him -- not for the content, but the format, just so he'd understand how it would work. The boys (both, it turns out) had a walk-a-thon, which a "good mom" would have printed their pledge sheets and helped them gather pledges for. Katrina's thank-yous haven't been written. I did manage to update a Facebook photo album, but that falls into the "I'm too fried to do anything else" category.

Tonight, though there's nothing more I'd like to do than just lie down and let the world spin around me, I'm at least looking online for martial arts classes and dance classes, for Julian and Katrina, respectively. It's surprisingly hard to find classes on Saturdays -- plenty at 3pm or 4pm on weekdays, but not so many Saturday mornings, and I'll bet they're all full. Most other kids do things on weekdays.

Tonight, though it's a Friday, I insisted Gabriel catch up on his book report due next week (he's behind in the steps he should have completed). Julian now has a "cultural report" due in a month, and the teacher strongly urges us to start right away. Meantime, the CDC has written up a special behavior "action plan," which they wanted to review with me and talk about strategies at home, because of Gabriel's resistant behavior ("every consequence we give him doesn't work and the whole situation escalates" -- yup, that's'a my boy!). Gabriel's teacher has also started a daily behavior contract, to gather data to present to the school psychologist, with us. All of this requires my attention and thought and time. But I can't even get a Scholastic book order submitted before the deadline.

How will I keep up with all this next year when Katrina too is in school?

10/22/2010

No comments: