Friday, October 07, 2011

10/7/11 First Friday

Well, I hope I don't have to do that again for a long long time. I survived my first week at a new job!!

But I'm saying I "hope I don't do that again for a long time" only because any new job means a lot of familiarization and change and getting up to speed -- and because I hope I stay at this job for a long time. Starting anew is stressful but expected, and it went far better than anyone could ever dream for. My new job, new office, new coworkers, new boss, new commute, are all great. I keep wondering what's wrong with this picture, because it all seems too picture-perfect to be real. Sometimes it feels like I'm in the movie "The Truman Show" because everything is so neat and clean. I know that's a good thing, I'm just not used to that!

If I had to have any concern at all, it'd be wondering if I'll miss the challenges of wide-area service-provider networks (traffic management, failure detection, redundancy, costs, point-to-point service delivery) that wide-area service-provider networks live with, over the enterprise-level data-center-type network I'll be working with -- now I have to get close to the world of "IT"! This, for a network engineer, is a good dilemma to have. No matter where my work falls, it will improve me.

Another nice change: I'm looking forward to Monday!

10/7/2011

No comments: