Tuesday, February 05, 2013

2/5/13 Chicken Nuggets

Katrina, for some reason, took it upon herself tonight to help me with dinner. With characteristic brightness and charm and bouncy enthusiasm, she announced, "I'm going to help Mom with dinner!"

I was tired, it was late, I was stressed by work overload, and I was planning on a quick kid-food dinner, but her happy attitude was infectious. "OK!" I said.

And then, I learned the miracle of girls. I pulled out a bag of chicken nuggets and explained to her what to do: get a tray, put some aluminum foil on it, put the nuggets on the tray, put the tray in the oven, set the oven to 400 degrees. And she did it all -- focused, cheerful, full of happy adorable comments along the way.

Of course, I handled the hot-dangerous part, like turning the nuggets and pulling them out, but truly, my six-year-old daughter did darned near everything else. If it's possible, I think she was prouder than I was, exclaiming again and again that SHE helped with dinner, and SHE can make chicken nuggets now all by herself, and SHE is my best kitchen helper.

She sure is!

2/5/13

No comments: