Saturday, April 01, 2006

Pillow Play

This morning was Gabriel and Julian's last gymnastics class. They both really loved it, though they're so different in how they approach it. Gabriel's class is for older kids, without parents, and he follows along with almost military conformance. He insists on putting himself in the same place in the line, does all the correct hand motions, and clearly tries to do everything as the teacher demonstrates -- with an impish smile on his face the whole way. Julian, on the other hand, refuses to do the warmup, standing and staring motionless except for wagging his tongue, but then does the obstacle course with enthusiasm.

Julian's latest: I ask him to put something away, and he looks up at me and says, "I don't THINK so!"

I haven't been taking as many pictures lately, but I did snap a few of the boys playing with pillows, mostly throwing them and hitting each other. I have a very high tolerance for roughhousing, but even I sometimes cringe watching them together, pushing, kicking, hitting, grabbing necks, wrestling. Note how Gabriel's feet are poised to jump onto Julian's back!



No comments: