Friday, March 02, 2007

3/2/07 Katrina's first daycare morning

Katrina's first morning at Tonya's!

I had all sorts of grand ambitions to get things done in the office: concentrated, thinking sorts of things that are impossible with baby in tow (like starting on taxes, ick). Still, I fought my usual inclination to put my mind before my body, and went to the Y right after dropping Julian and Katrina off and had a nice little workout. I daresay I'm starting not to hate the treadmill.

At 11:00, I got the call: Katrina absolutely would not take a bottle, and was screaming her head off. Two kinds of formula, fresh and frozen breastmilk, not having it. I zoomed to Tonya's, nursed her, and went back home to make the most of my remaining 45 baby-free minutes.

This is a problem! It hasn't been an issue in the evening when we go skating, since I nurse her before we leave, then she sleeps the whole time we're gone. But during the day, if I'm to be away from her ever, at all, she needs to take a bottle. Preferably of formula, since I really hate pumping.

I tried baby-on-bottle again tonight, with a different bottle. Nothing doing.

I remember that Gabriel too stopped taking a bottle, though he was older and was eating solids by then. Fortunately, Katrina isn't all that far off from the 6 month mark. Ego compels me to keep her exclusively on breastmilk until then, just so I can say that all three kids lived on nothing but breastmilk for the first 6 months of their lives, fresh from the cow.

Katrina didn't nap well at Tonya's either, but she sure did this afternoon. I had to wake her up after 3 hours, so I could take the boys back to Tonya's for sleepover tonight, and drop a meal off at my friend Jodie's house. I keep thinking about Jodie and her preemie baby...and speaking of breastmilk, I remember that Jodie wasn't a fan of nursing, but I also remember Stacey telling me that pumping breastmilk wasn't considered optional if you had a preemie. I can't imagine having to pump if you didn't even want to breastfeed in the first place -- blah!

Inspired by Kristi, I attempted to get eye-color photos of the kids today. Kristi's three girls all have blue eyes, and Kristi does a nice analysis of the subtle differences (she's an optometrist, so has a professional perspective as well).

I failed utterly, but got a few funny face shots in the process. I don't know how to get natural-light photos of their eyes without reflections though.

Reflections weren't my biggest problem though. Julian absolutely refused to hold still, and only did after I got fed up and said, "OK, never mind, no pictures!" Then he cries and wails and says he'll hold still, not thinking that posing for pictures isn't that much fun anyway. That sort of bluffing never, ever worked on Gabriel.


A calm evening, with the boys away and baby going to bed reliably around 7pm. Lately she's been waking up once during the night, and then pretty early in the morning (6:30am) ? Not bad.

3/2/07

No comments: