Wednesday, May 14, 2008

5/14/08 Mom's playdate

I told Gabriel tonight I was going out with my Mom friends, and he asked why. I told him that sometimes mommies like to get together without our children, even though we mommies all love you SOOO much. I added rhetorically, "Don't you like some time away from me too?" And Gabriel answered, very matter-of-factly and sincerely, "No."

Julian too had a hard time with my "Mom's playdate," whining that he wanted to go with me. I said "No, it's only for mommies!" and he still said he wanted to go. I explained further, "Not even Daddies are allowed!" He considered this for a few moments, then asked, "What happens if Daddies go, do they get all cut up?" Yup, pretty much.

Talking with three other toddler-moms (this was the 2006 group), I started to feel like my life is a breeze. All three were still dealing with being woken up at night and ongoing sleep deprivation, and two with going through rigamarole of getting them to sleep. Car behavior came up too, and again I felt like I have it super-easy -- times three: none of our trio have ever given us any consistent trouble in the car. When conversation turns to self-entertaining, I'm back in familiar territory, which is bragging shamelessly about how even my 19-month-old will sit and play with a book on her own for 20-30 minutes.

Who knew I had such an easy toddler?

(Of course, once Betsy arrives, the "easiest toddler" scepter is instantly passed!)

Katrina likes "mana-manas" (bananas), but if the banana falls out of the peel, forget it!

She did start in one one tantrum tonight, but only her heart and not her soul was in it. I was able to get her out by getting Gabriel to give her a sippy-cup of milk instead of me, testing a hypothesis that he didn't have sufficient antagonistic value. He also did something silly to entertain her too, which worked. She dropped the campaign long enough to taste dinner (mm! mashed potatoes with green stuff!), and the tantrum was derailed.

Imagine. Me with the "easy" toddler!

5/14/08

No comments: