Saturday, May 17, 2008

5/17/08 Procrastination

SO much to do -- it is truly overwhelming. So much so that playing with the kids today seemed a fine way to procrastinate. They really needed some plain old hang-around-home downtime.

It was still hot enough today to warrant setting up our ball-suspending sprinkler. This was a first: Gabriel said he didn't want to go naked. Naturally, Julian followed suit (hah), though neither minded changing in front of me. Katrina of course didn't care.



Later, I took the boys with me to drop off a meal for a 2006 mom who just had a 2008 baby, then we stopped by the "new house."

We explored the backyard, complete with flowerbed and -- how handy -- a clothesline rack!

I'm pretty sure the low wall at the entry to the house didn't have those hands when we first checked it out.


I had to explain that we're just borrowing this house while the "carpenters" fix the house we have.

When we got back home, Gabriel asked me, "When are we finally going for a walk around the block?" as though it was something he'd been bugging me about for months. I was surprised, but I thought it was a great idea. A lot better than trying to pack! So we went for a walk -- well, really more of a run.

I mostly walked, but sprinted after them as needed, where "need" was to remind them of my current athletic superiority. I'm keenly aware how short-lived that is.

So aware that as soon as the kids had dinner in front of them, I went to my favorite county park and ran a route I haven't for some time. My left arch didn't like this, and I can feel some foot buzzing now, but overall it was totally worth it. Even being able to run a little is OK. I can cross-train; I'm fortunate that as a runner I like to swim (many runners don't and I totally understand why), though swimming isn't enough to stay in running shape. I'm hoping to add cycling into the mix.

Which reminds me: MRI results. Anticlimactic. Unfortunately, my doctor called right was I was serving the kids dinner, so I really couldn't concentrate or take notes, but the jist of it was that while there is some disk bulging, there's nothing bad enough to treat right now. But at least I know who to call if my back gives me trouble again.

While I was running tonight, I realized I really need some new music. Then on the drive home, I heard the song "You Oughta Know" by Alanis Morrisette, a song I know but have never really listened to. As is so often the case after running, my mind was open and focused and completely absorbed the song. And WOW -- was she ever pissed off when she wrote that one!! There are some nasty lyrics in there! It's bitter, surly, sarcastic -- the instant I got home, I went straight to iTunes, bought the song, and put it in the first position in my running playlist on my iPod. I can't wait to run to it.

I did pack up a lot of baby stuff today at least. Incredibly, we were accepted as tenants to another house today too.

5/17/08

No comments: