Sunday, June 15, 2008

6/15/08 Shaggy boys no more

I really wanted to go the Y today, but there was a Sunday playdate at one of our favorite parks, and I knew at least one other mom would be there. I haven't taken all three to the park in a long time, and we needed the "sanity." Somehow my camera got left behind, so I didn't get photos of Katrina acting very silly inside a tunnel.

They all had a great time, though we left way too late. When we got home, Katrina made a beeline for her room, cried "Mimi!" and almost lay down in the floor, begging for a nap!

Not long after that, Julian asked about his bin -- the boys both have special bins to put things that are their very own -- but it was on a shelf buried behind boxes. So I moved the boxes, and as I did, a sort of obstacle course emerged. I deliberately created a goofy path through the boxes, wondering if the boys would notice what I was doing. Julian kept asking about his bin and Gabriel ignored me until he impatiently asked, "What are you doing?! Then I said, "I'm making a maze!" They both immediately brightened and started ordering me where to put boxes. I made a tunnel and a dead end and they played happily in there for the rest of the afternoon. I can't win against the pile of boxes, so I might as well make use of them somehow.

My late-afternoon plans to re-attempt the Y got shortcut again by...well, short cuts! Though there are plenty of nearby haircut plaes, I took them to the Supercuts we usually go to since it's close to the Y, where I needed to go anyway (the Y had two purposes today: to exercise, which didn't get fulfilled, and to pay for daycamps, which did). Julian said he wanted a chicken haircut, meaning, his hair all spiky like I do with shampoo sometimes. The nice lady granted his wish with gel, as he was so sincere and cooperative. I told her the story of Julian's first haircut and how good he was, unlike his brother and sister who screamed and cried. He was very proud to hear me talking about how good and brave he's always been about haircuts (which is exactly why I did it), and the ladies at Supercuts were completely charmed by him.

Before.


During.


After.


I used to think gel was silly, but now I think it's fun!

Katrina needs her bangs trimmed, but I think I better drum up a Valium prescription first. For her or me, I don't know yet.

6/15/08

No comments: