Monday, August 25, 2008

8/25/08 Carrying the load

Gabriel got out of school today, complaining of a "chest pain." It so happened Dave was at our jobsite house anyway when he got the call, plus he'd taken time off this morning anyway to look at siding samples, so he threw up his hands and called it a day. So he picked up Gabriel from the school office and took him to the pediatrician this afternoon.

By the time Gabriel got to see the doc, he was feeling better. The best she could come up with was that maybe carrying a backpack now was making him sore. I find that a little hard to believe, since I got him a Land's End "featherlight" pack, he's only carried it to school twice, and empty both times! But Gabriel isn't one to complain if he doesn't really feel something, and it's not like him to make something up just to get out of school. So we both truly believe something was wrong, we just have no idea what.

This resulted in a major time windfall for me this evening. No pickups! Better yet, I got to make dinner without being interrupted 100 times and with my blood pressure at normal levels. As I was making rice, defrosting hazelnut-crusted trout, heating fish sticks, steaming pre-cut cauliflower and cutting bread, my friend's pointed words rang in my head: "I never cook." Well, of course not never -- she meant on the worknights she walks in the door with 3 hungry tired children after a full day, as I do. I need to pin her down on if "cooking" includes heating TJ's fish sticks.

Major decision about the outside of our house: shingles on the 2nd story, or not?

8/25/08

No comments: