Thursday, December 11, 2008

12/11/08 The setback

Good grief. What is it going to take?

Last night, Gabriel refused to use the wetness alarm. No amount of convincing or bargaining or insisting had any effect, and we were in for a long, long battle. I won by changing tactics: "OK!" I told him that he didn't have to wear the alarm, but he would have to sleep somewhere that it didn't matter that he got wet. I very agreeably laid out a vinyl tablecloth on the garage floor, then found another one he could use as a blanket. "It'll be a little cold," I said sympathetically. "And hard. But that's OK, when you pee we can just hose it out in into the driveway." As he stepped onto concrete floor with his bare feet, he reconsidered. "OK, OK, I'll wear the alarm."

We got him up around midnight to go, just to increase his odds of success. Then around 3:30am, I heard him wailing from his bed, terrified by the alarm and unable to turn it off. And soaked. I changed his bedding, had him go again, and figured he was good til morning. Nope. Wet again. And this after a major fight about not using the alarm! It figures that it's no miracle cure as it has been for so many other children. Few methods or devices have been Gabriel-proofed.

I had to take the day off work today when I got a call that Katrina had a temperature. By the time I got to her, she seemed fine, she's been full of energy, ate well, and no temperature. I don't doubt she had something, but it wasn't serious. It was nice to spend the day with her though, she was in a good mood and was unusually (well, it is unusual!) sweet.

Julian, my little scientist. "Birds are hatched from eggs!" "People are animals!" "Water bits go into the air and make you dry!" Today a helper teacher at his preschool flagged me to exclaim that he reads really, really well. Julian was part of a circle of kids that were looking at a book, and apparently he dazzled the teacher calling out the sentences of his own accord. He really does read well, better than Gabriel did at his age, and actually beyond what we've come to understand as the "proficient" level for first graders. I'm already designing the dress I'll wear to the Nobel Prize acceptance ceremony!!!

12/11/08

No comments: