Saturday, December 13, 2008

12/13/08 Christmas Stuff

I'd like to say today was a day of sharing and joy and establishing family traditions, but for me it was heavily marred by an exceptional tantrum day from Katrina. It sent me into a tailspin, prompting me to write about self-doubts and bonding (here), though even as I was experiencing it I knew it was transitory. As usual, we paid a dear price for a sleepover the night before, and something's bothering Katrina's mouth, so she was exceptionally difficult today.

We decorated our Christmas tree today, and what should have been a fun cheerful family moment was marred by Katrina screaming and fussing and just not getting over not being able to pull all the ornaments out of the box. No amount of coaxing or demonstrating got her to cooperatively participate. I thought it'd be fun for her to hang ornaments! Dave took Katrina out of the room, but she carried on with an ear-piercing vengeance. I tried hard to tune her out and enjoy this once-a-year moment with the boys, but I was hopelessly irritated and disappointed.


Later, the boys and I got started making a gingerbread house, while Dave bought us some time taking her out. I was grateful for that, but resentful too that we can't do things with Dave there, since he's on Tantrum Toddler duty. Not that Dave has any interest in decorating a gingerbread house anyway, but I still like to have the opportunity! We finished it after she went to bed.

The boys had a great time with this, and didn't seem to care at all that it was just a kit house I bought at Target. Someday I'll really make a gingerbread house, but to them, the real fun is in putting the candies on, and an $8.99 kit house is perfect for that.

Someday, Katrina will contribute to these moments instead of ruining them.

12/13/08

No comments: