Sunday, January 24, 2010

1/24/2010 In New York

Just drove back from upstate NY this afternoon with my brother & girlfriend, after visiting my Dad Saturday and Sunday. Saturday was a pretty packed day, with lots of highs and lows, but none more fun than my first foray into hockey.

My nephew Aidan takes hockey lessons, and loves skating and practicing hockey. My brother-in-law clears patches of ice on a pond, and he and Aidan practice hockey all the time. Aidan has gotten pretty good! I joined them on Saturday while they were playing and eventually took over my brother-in-law's hockey stick.

Despite my borrowed skate a size too large, and my complete ineptitude at puck handling with a stick that's a foot too long -- WHAT FUN. I thought I'd just give it a try for a few minutes and ended up "playing" for about an hour. It was so fun. My nephew got a big kick out of scoring on me, and I told him he had a whole closet full of hat tricks now.

My brother showed up with his video camera and took this little clip, before joining us for a "game." Aidan and I had fun skating around my brother, and I think Aidan had a great time playing with his aunt and uncle (even if we're no match for his Canadian father who actually plays hockey).


I've never played any team sports or had any drive to (hmm ok except volleyball, briefly), but hockey is G-R-E-A-T. It's completely different skating with a stick in your hand and your eye on the puck. I loved it. And it was so fun spending so much time with my sweet nephew.

I do miss my children, and from what Dave tells me, Katrina misses me (awww....poor thing!), but it was a rare treat to be just an aunt (or is that, uncle?) and not a mother at the same time.

I'm back in NYC now and will be for 2 days before returning home late Wednesday.

1/24/2010

No comments: