Monday, November 01, 2010

11/1/2010 A Star Wars weekend

Would you believe, we watched four movies this weekend?!

Well, it was supposed to rain, and Aunt Laura and Uncle Ryan are in town -- they're famous for movie marathons. So we rented all 6 Star Wars movies, the "first" 3 of which (first in the story, last in the release dates, the prequels) I'd never seen. The boys did all their laundry eagerly to "earn" the privilege, and even trick-or-treating had to be persuaded to interrupt the shows. And it's SOOOO fun watching movies with Laura and Ryan -- and since it's Halloween weekend, the boys had the outfits for it!

First, Return of the Jedi (third movie released, but last in the story), since the boys had seen the previous 2 in previous weekends.


We did take breaks for might Jedi light-saber battles outside.


As well as general run-around fun. The kids just love playing with Uncle Ryan -- and it doesn't seem to be much imposition on him either! He's a terrific big kid himself.




I'd never seen, or had much interest in, the "first" three movies -- the prequels, if you will -- but I was surprised how much I enjoyed them. There's actually a lot more to the story in the first 3, and some of the acting and action I loved. I'm a die-hard Yoda fan now.

When the original Star Wars came out in 1977, my father took us to it, and I went along begrudgingly because I had to, but ended up loving it (despite my embarrassment ay my father's standing up and cheering when the Millenium Falcon went into hyperdrive). I gooed and dreamed about Han Solo for months!! Well, I was just 13; 13-year-old girls tend to do that. But I've been a fan of the movies ever since.

Now, as an adult, I'm a little bit more critical (hmm, Mark Hamill isn't exactly the best actor!), so I wasn't expecting much of the prequels. But I loved the stories and I loved how it all tied in (mostly) with the "sequels." My new favorite character is Obi-Wan Kenobi, and how he develops and contributes to the whole story. So, watching all this with my in-laws and children (Dave was away for the weekend at a track event), it was great fun.

I think this whole family is going to be into Star Wars for some time now. Maybe I should get my own light-saber!

11/1/2010

No comments: