Monday, February 06, 2012

2/5/2012 Back goes blooey again

I should be writing about what a great time everyone had at Gabriel and Julian's birthday parties today -- and we did. It was one party package, but essentially two parties since each boy invited their own set of friends, and we were at the trampoline place where each group could do their own thing. It worked great; it was unusually un-crowded when we arrived, and immediately every kid was jumping and having a great time. I thought the biggest crisis would be when one of Gabriel's classmates' pants ripped completely open, which I dealt with by buying shorts at the trampoline place.

Just as we were about to do cupcakes, I was sitting at the table with Betsy and remarked to her that I felt something in my lower back, on the right side where the injury happens -- but it wasn't so bad because usually when my back snaps, it's instant and that hadn't happened. I shouldn't have said anything, because a few minutes later, lightning struck -- that's really what it felt like. A complete seize-up, and boom, it's cane city again.

Fortunately Betsy was there to help, she called Dave right away, and was able to help serve cupcakes, gather kids, and carry stuff to the car (thanks Betsy!!). Dave arrived with Katrina, and drove Gabriel and his new BFF, Raschelle, to her house to continue the playdate, while I drove Julian home. I took a hot bath, whatever drugs I could conjure up from last time, and spent the rest of the day in bed, with a break to have some dinner and hobble around to make kids' lunchs. Dave did the rest.

This stinks! What is wrong that my back has to do this?! This episode is among the most painful I've had, and by far the most shocking moment when it actually seized. And then, after zooming around this place perfectly healthy, and doing a lot of jumping myself, I had to hold someone's hand for help and then use a cane. How pathetic and embarrassing is that! This episode is up there with the really bad ones.

Well, on the bright side, at least I was done jumping and I'd had a great time with the kids, playing games and having them show me what they can do. And I got in a nice run Saturday morning, noticing that there was not a peep from my ankles. My back has been well-behaved for a while, but I think the seat-drop things I was doing with Julian's friend Jake were too much.

Tomorrow I'll be trying to get an appointment with my back doctor, and with physical therapists, the usual. I just don't want anyone to tell me I can't do stuff like that, it's just too fun and I have to figure out how to do a back flip first.

And the tired boys afterward was definitely worth it!

2/5/2012

No comments: