Friday, April 06, 2012

4/6/12 The Photos

What's this? Katrina voluntarily posing for a photo?

And not just any photo, either. Somehow we got the whole family to a nearby office-service business, for passport photos. It's taken months, but I think we finally have everything together, including filled-out applications, and now official photos, to apply for passports. The plan is to trek the whole clan to the post office tomorrow to submit the applications.

And just in time, because my plan is still to go to Vancouver B.C. with Gabriel over Memorial Day weekend.

Katrina just got a whole new bag of hand-me-downs, and is putting together some fascinating outfits. It's embarrassing; every stitch of clothing she's wearing, save underpants and socks, were hand-me-downs from the same family. You'd think I never buy her clothes....actually, I don't. All her pajamas are worn hand-me downs from her brothers, too.

This adorable plaid skort makes her pasty legs look even skinnier than they are.

We had to wait a few minutes while the photos were printing. Meantime, I enjoyed a rare moment, the boys being quiet, and quiet together. I look at my sons sometimes and just marvel. They're really not little kids anymore. They're getting so big and strong, they're so healthy and vigorous and bursting with life.

Not that they always welcome the photographic intrusion, of course. It's rare that they're this calm that I can actually enjoy that instead of angrily correcting them so that their vigor isn't a total nuisance to everyone around them.

After photos, we did something we rarely do anymore: go out to dinner, all of us. It's so hard to round everyone up that this was not an opportunity to be squandered!

Also, I worked really, really hard today -- and I'm glad for it, but I was so fried that I had no energy to cook or clean. Actually, this whole week has been very intense at work. My job is full of surprises, and it's becoming clear it will never be routine or boring. I'm glad my creative energy has an outlet, but it subtracts from any burning desires to try a new recipe.

When we got home from dinner, we did our new Friday night thing: watching "Burn Notice." It's really fun for me watching it with the boys and explaining all the spy stuff to them, and it's great incentive for them to get ready for bed quickly so we can cuddle up on the bed together. I don't think it's generally considered "family fare" but ... well, what can I say. Some families watch kid shows to spend time with the family; I watch Burn Notice to watch Burn Notice, and bonus, shows with lots of stuff blowing up are great fun to watch with boys! They love it. Julian wants to go to Miami now.

4/6/12

No comments: