Wednesday, October 17, 2007

10/17/07 Katrina's 12-month appointment


Katrina went to the pediatrician today, for her 12-month checkup and shots. Her stats:

Weight: 17 lbs 6 oz (4th %ile)
Length: 29.5" (55th %ile)

The scary thing is: Gabriel's stats were exactly the same at 12 months!! (though his percentiles were lower).

She cried momentarily during the shots, quite understandable, but forgot all about it later. Actually, she still has a small bruise on the inside of her right elbow from the far more intrusive blood draw last week, for which we still don't have results.

Fortunately, looking outside through the window (for birds, no doubt) kept her basically happy as we were waiting for the shots.

We're definitely getting into a nap transition phase, in which we're never sure what she needs or when she needs it. Today Dave picked her up from Melissa's, and had to wake her up an hour into what turned out to be her only nap of the day. For several days in a row now, we've had this problem around 5:30pm: she needs nap #2, but it's so close to bedtime, she can sort-of last. But with a lot of work!

This morning I talked on the phone with a manager at my old company. Looks like I'm going back to work there, a temporary contract, starting next month. I really really hoped I was done with that company, but the flexibility of the contract is too good to pass up. I'd talked to them last week about it, right after a set of days in which I was starting to feel almost despairing about having a grownup life again. Working there again isn't the grownup life I want, but it's a good kickstart, and will make a tiny dent in the massive debt we're about to incur for the remodel.

This means finding full-time childcare. Gabriel's set, of course. I'm probably going to use Melissa for Katrina, despite the long drive and traffic-choked commute. Right now the driving seems less painful than picturing her in a full-service daycare setting; I'd really rather have her at a family daycare (and Tonya's infant spaces are still full). But Julian needs a new place anyway, he's really outgrown family daycare and says all the time that he wants to go to pre-K. We saw a nearby place that looked good for pre-K, but if I stop working and scale back Julian's childcare, its part-time prices and schedules aren't as good as where Gabriel went. So, next stop is to check out where Gabriel went and see how it looks in comparison. The location can't be beat, that's for sure.

I'm very nervous about figuring out how to get everything done at home and get dinner on the table on time. Something's going to have to give, and I'm very afraid it's going to be my running. 5-6 mile runs several times a week, plus a shower and nap afterward, are a huge time luxury that this family can't afford.

Sure wish I could have run today, but I only had a small time window to squeeze it into, and that window was slammed shut with a "mild" migraine. What an oxymoron, there is no such thing. I've had worse though, and this one's gone on for "only" 3 days so far, so I guess that counts as "mild."

10/17/07

No comments: