Friday, October 19, 2007

10/19/07 Dave's 41st

It's Dave's birthday today! We went to Kyoto Palace in the Campbell Pruneyard instead of the traditional Benihana, in the hopes of finding an upgrade. Actually, it was quite similar, though I liked walking around the Pruneyard afterward, better than the Vallco parking lot as is the case with Benihana.

I went for a long run this morning, fighting a miserable migraine. I hate migraine runs, they take 10 times more effort. In the end, I'm glad I did it, but it was a painful struggle instead of joyful movement through nature. All day long I've had a vice grip on my head, dreading every next step I'd take. Any high-pitched sound, such as that frequently emitted by our secondborn, drives straight through to a nerve center like an icepick, and sets me off. Just blinking sets off small waves of pressure and rushing sounds past my ears. I hate my life. I hate my children. I hate my body. I don't, of course, not at all, but that's how it feels.

Fortunately, I'm able to forget about it for some moments, like a pleasant dinner chatting with my husband like grownups, and walking around the Pruneyard, browsing through Barnes and Noble...but without active distraction, it floods right back again.

But it was a good day. While my run was often painful, once again I found salvation in the uphills, when I could focus on the physical challenge, and forget about the headache and resulting bodyache. It was overcast and so misty in places that it was almost drizzling on me, and that felt good against my skin.

Gabriel was nothing short of delightful today, helpful and sweet and cheerful and funny. Playing outside this afternoon, he came in to get a glass of water to put flowers in, and I walked in as he was excitedly setting them up to show me. He likes getting me flowers -- how sweet is that?!

Peggy reports that the boys were really good tonight, and Katrina ate a ton and didn't cry at all. And Dave and I had a nice evening being grownups, which makes me look forward to a nice weekend being parents.

10/19/07

Today's route, all trails I've done before but not exactly in this order. At the last minute, I tacked on the lower third of the PG&E trail, which to my surprise pushed the distance over 8 miles. If I'd known that at the outset, I'd never have done it!


Parking -> Coyote -> Farm -> Rogue Valley ->
Upper Rogue Valley -> Upper High Meadow ->
Upper Wildcat Canyon -> PG&E -> Coyote -> Parking

Results for route: 12VWU3MLKR6ST4V21
Route Miles Up Down
12 0.29 0 30
2V 0.51 195 0
VW 0.67 0 120
WU 0.25 0 50
U3 0.15 0 20
3M 0.31 25 0
ML 0.69 125 0
LK 0.51 75 0
KR 1.00 400 0
R6 0.32 60 0
6S 1.37 0 450
ST 0.12 0 20
T4 0.12 80 0
4V 1.60 310 500
V2 0.51 0 195
21 0.29 30 0

Total Distance = 8.71 Miles, 1300 feet of climbing

No comments: