Monday, November 19, 2007

11/19/07 The Broccoli Hug

Katrina, once again, was in fine form today when I picked her up, full of smiles and happy expressions and just about bursting out of her skin with energy and joy. She bopped around happily at home while I scrambled to get everyones' dinner ready, pointing to things and exclaiming when she happened upon something new, until well after I had the boys sitting down to dinner.

Then she sat quietly and worked on a little bowl of cut-up green beans (they look like peas) and cauliflower, until I was ready to sit down and feed her spaghetti with meat sauce and then butternut squash. She started to cry at the end, and no wonder, it was 6:45pm and approaching the 7pm Witching Hour. I picked her up and held her for a few minutes while I did some one-handed kitchen jobs, nibbling on some broccoli the boys left behind.

On impulse, I offered her a little broccoli floret. I was surprised that not only did she eat it, but she put her head on my shoulder and actually put her arm around my neck right afterward. Gotta be a fluke, I thought. This is the world's least cuddly baby after all. Another floret. Another head-on-shoulder and arm around my neck. And again, and again, and again. I couldn't believe it!

Gabriel and Julian were entranced by this, Gabriel especially. He was very taken with how cute she was being, and at one point said, "Mom, she's giving you a broccoli hug!"

I milked it for all it was worth, and happily handed over most of the broccoli scraps that were to have been my dinner, relishing each warm gesture from her. What mom wouldn't give her baby the food off her plate after all -- especially if it means a hug after each bite!

11/19/07

No comments: