Tuesday, January 29, 2008

1/29/08 The Walk

I went for an exercise walk at lunch today, driving to the creek trail I'd normally run to, making for about a 2-1/2 mile loop. I managed to stick with a power-walk for a while, then let myself break into an easy trot, back down to walk, then more light jogging. At first it was hard to run, I was winded, but it wasn't long before I settled into a rhythm. It was SO fun to be moving again, feeling the wind on my face, looking at the sky, listening to my iPod, and being immersed in the stormy outdoors. I had to tell myself, "at that next signpost, back to a walk....ok, the next signpost....oh, ok, one more...." I probably ran about a mile all told. My ankles had been feeling better and I've been strengthen-exercising them, and I was using the insoles that the sports podiatrist had adjusted for me.

Hours later, both insides of my ankles started screaming at me, right under the inner anklebone. They didn't bother me during the run, which I guess is an improvement, but this is very discouraging! It took months and many miles for the first twinge to develop, and now, it takes barely a mile of gentle trotting for the pain to return full-on. I'm finding myself feeling jealous of people who have healthy tibialis tendons and don't make use of them running. Not fair, I'd use them! I'll trade you!

Well, I deliberately tested it today to see what little I could get away with, and I have my answer. Lots more time off. Walking doesn't seem to bother it, but walking just isn't the same. Fooey.

Testing limits is an ongoing theme around here. Katrina has to be on whatever floor she's not these days -- if she's downstairs, she makes her way upstairs, and if she's upstairs, she makes her way down. I guess I'm supposed to be more paranoid about her being on stairs unattended, but I've lost track of her so many times now, it's hard to get too worried. Besides, Gabriel went down stairs headfirst, sliding on his chest, laughing the whole way. Julian did tumble down once, and I could hear him: boom boom boom WAH boom boom WA- boom WAH-AH-AHH! I've been through it already. My paranoia is weary. Such is the plight of the third child.

She's more careful than Gabriel was, and more confident and coordinated than Julian (who was probably the least stair-safe). Her worst hazard so far is getting stuck from her sideways method of going down, which involves using her head for balance.

Actually, her worst hazard is being discovered and whisked away, because, as you can all easily predict now, her reaction is violent, vocal and VERY LOUD!

Still crawling though. I think it's safe to say that she's going to reach 16 months old without a crawl-free day. At least the walking is getting a little steadier, though she still treats it like an exciting excursion instead of something you just do.

I wish I could get that excited about walking.

1/29/08

No comments: