Thursday, January 31, 2008

1/31/08 First music class

It wasn't looking good. Katrina was grouchy and sniffly and miserable this morning, and barely ate any breakfast. I figured I'd at least make an appearance at music class, get the materials, and see if she'd last for a few minutes. And who knows, maybe she'd pull out a miracle and be fine in class.

Well, miracles do occur! She did great, and she loved it. As with most kids, as soon as the whole group starts doing the same thing together, especially with the teacher playing the flute, it caught her attention. She was interested, relaxed in short time, smiled, and even got up and wandered around. In fact, toward the end of the class, she just walked (and crawled, sigh) around the room and explored. She liked the instruments, she liked the group dynamic, and overall the whole thing was a smashing success. Not only was I immensely relieved, but it was a lot of fun! It was nice to be back in Music Together again.

Of course, any musical experience is greatly enhanced by having Bonne Maman there, as she likes anything music, and she participates and sings and dances along and acts goofy like everyone else.

Katrina looks a little different, huh? Maybe, like, a girl?

Well, that beautiful purple dress was a gift from Bonne Maman (from April Cornell), so Katrina had to model it. It isn't great for crawling, but at this point, anything that hinders crawling is fine with me. Also, her bangs are just too long, and I've been looking for things to keep them out of her eyes. It's hard to find simple baby barrettes that stay in, and I find these little pony-tail-holders to work OK, despite the fountain effect atop her head.

I can't believe it, but I think combing her hair and putting it back in the morning has become part of our daily routine. She's surprisingly cooperative about it. I never, ever comb the boys' hair in the morning, though they go to bed with it washed and combed, so it's not THAT bad. Gabriel and his lofty hair can get some pretty severe cases of pillow-head though -- severely funny, that is.

Mom and I (my mom that is!) then brought Katrina to Melissa's, and went to meet with my kitchen designer, to hammer down the final details. I completely caved on a few important things that I'd felt strongly about, and you know, I love the result. Everything fits so much better now -- and I may like having a microwave below the counter instead of 5" above my head! I'm thrilled. It was great and instructive to have my mother there for the kitchen details, pointing out things, giving me confidence about decisions, asking questions...44 years old and I still need my mommy!

And, we have an appointment with a promising contractor next week, and got a call back from another one. Boy, times must be tough if contractors call you back within a few hours.

Katrina still wasn't herself tonight, as she hardly ever screamed and was pretty mellow, but she was a lot better than yesterday. She didn't nap much today, and didn't eat very well, but she seems to be on the mend.

It sort of goes without saying that the boys are having a fabulous time with Bonne Maman, but it's nice to say anyway. Gabriel is happily showing off, and Julian is acting like a lovesick puppy (aww, such a sweetie pie).

1/31/08

No comments: