Wednesday, March 05, 2008

3/5/08 Zoom to Zumba

I managed to get everything done (everyone fed and clothed for tomorrow) tonight in time to zoom out to catch a popular pass-only Zumba class at the Y. Last week, I looked in on the Wednesday class and the teacher looked fabulous, and I've been looking forward to it for days.

Me and 34 other people, it turns out. The passes go out at 7:15 for a 7:45 class, and they're gone within minutes. I had long since missed my chance when I arrived at 7:25. Fooey.

I consoled myself with an ordinary workout, including 15 forced minutes on the elliptical. Want to slow down -- even reverse -- time? The secret fountain of youth! Go on the elliptical! Minutes take hours. GOD what a drag.

My ankle tendons still bother me on and off all the time, but the achiness and buzzy feeling keeps travelling downward. Now it's almost at my arches. Something's happening, so I'm going to hold out a few more weeks (?) before I attempt running again. I'm not willing to let go of running yet.

Katrina's 17 months old today! Melissa said she was really happy and energetic today. The weather's been getting much nicer, and that combined with walking means a lot more outdoors time, and she loves it. Indoors, her latest trick is to push cars along the floor and say "choo choo!"

Katrina's following instructions now too, like if I tell her to throw something into the garbage, she'll do it. I haven't tried without gesturing yet. I found a video (which I'd upload if YouTube weren't doing site maintenance) of Gabriel at 14 months old, getting his jacket when I suggested he did, without gesturing. I learned later that this was an important sign that his receptive language was developing normally; it was only his expressive language that was delayed. Still, it's interesting that Gabriel learned to follow instructions quite a bit sooner. I like the video because he's so enthusiastic and joyful, doing his goofy bear-crawl to get to the jacket. It's amazing how much of the Gabriel I know now I can see in his 14-month-old self.

Here's Katrina's 17-month-old self nibbling on a snow pea. These days her mouth doesn't see a lot of green, so I had to get a photo.

Approaching the Golden Age of 18 months! So far, 16 has been one of her best, and despite some new demanding screeches and behaviors (Melissa said Katrina actually pushed on Melissa's cheek to get Melissa to turn her head back to continue a game of peek-a-boo!), 17 overall is looking pretty good too.

3/5/08 (happy birthday bonne maman!)

No comments: