Thursday, April 10, 2008

4/10/08 "Cyyyy???"

Katrina overloads the sound "cy???" to mean "outSIDE?" and also "CY?cle." This evening she and Julian were having a grand time looking through an I Spy Wheels book, and she was pointing to pictures of bicycles and motorcycles and saying excitedly, "cy? CY????".

Of course, as soon as I pulled out the camera, the scene diverged...she and Julian got into some other goofy-sounds game, but I did catch a few of her "cy?" inquiries.



Later, she insisted on eating her own spaghetti (really angel hair). Brave Mom!

She probably actually swallows a third of the food on her own than she would if I feed her, but this is an independence I definitely want to -- need to --encourage. Besides, she's 18 months old, plenty old enough to be handling a spoon on her own.

Yesterday at dinner, Gabriel asked me what the difference between a violin and a kitter is. After some probing, I translated "kitter" to "guitar." "Yeah, a guitar! ...so, what's the difference?" To my amazement, the answer came from an unlikely source. Julian piped in clearly and without hesitation or stumbling, "A ki-tar you use your fingers to play it, and the violin, you use a stick." Julian wants to play a musical instrument too: the trumpet. Hmm, where's our soundproof music room in our remodeling plans?!

4/10/08

No comments: