Sunday, April 06, 2008

4/6/08 Questions, questions

I took Julian and Katrina to the Y this morning. As we were crossing the parking lot on the way in, Julian asked:
"How do babies start out?"
You sure pick your moments, kid!

Gabriel asked me a good question today that brings up an odd situation that most Moms don't have: my own children can't pronounce my name!

Since second grade, I learned to live with the fact that most people would call me No-Amy, and that's fine. But it never sounded right coming from a family member. I have no problem with Dave calling me that, but my kids? It just sounds off.

So Gabriel asked me how to pronounce my name in French today. What's really funny is that I have trouble pronouncing my own name correctly! I said my name in my best French, and he repeated it pretty well. That's a lot closer.

I wonder what made him ask me that. I've never explained that my name is French. He has no reason to believe my name is unusual, in fact; I doubt he has enough experience with names to know what's common and what's unusual -- especially given all the foreign names of his classmates. Maybe he heard a friend visiting this afternoon call me No-Amy.

Said friend visiting this afternoon bought one of my motorcycles today. Sniff. Sigh.

4/6/08

No comments: