Wednesday, April 09, 2008

4/9/08 Goodbye G/S


It's official. I'm no longer a G/S rider. Or, owner, that is.

For those not in the moto-world, which I guess includes me now, "GS" is BMW's term for "turf and street" motorcycles, suitable for dirt and pavement. Or, not so good at either, depending on how you look at it. Just like me. I was never that good a rider either, though few matched my persistence and endurance in the face of constant adversity. (Sound like any other wheel-obsessed Doudna?)

Tweety Bike and I had many, many adventures over the years, travelled many states, countries, mountains, deserts, dustpiles, rivers, rockbeds, stairs, logs, patchy twisty dirty bumpy roads (yeah!), long flat boring highways. It tolerated many, many a tipover, spills into bodies of water, clutch burnouts, gas shortages and much terrified shrieking and lousy input from me. While much of its tenure as my motorcycle was spent horizontal, we never had any street incidents or tangles with cars.

I wish my dear old bike luck. It is now in the possession of Calamity Charles, famous for fast healing, and whose similar R80ST was wrecked recently in a head-on with two Harleys. Charles is a talented rider who lives verrry close to the edge...and of late, has gone over the edge just far enough. Hence his need for a new bike. Mine hadn't run in years, so it's a good fit for everyone. Except, perhaps, for Charles' insurance company.

Ironic, isn't it, that so much of what appealed to me about riding motorcycles carried over to running -- but running triggered far worse and longer-lasting injuries than motorcycles ever did.

Keyword there is "triggered." Two days ago, I was stuck in a really boring training session at work. The day afterward, my ankles were buzzing badly, and my feet were falling asleep at the slightest provocation -- or non-provocation -- and my heels and arches alternatively ached. This foot-manifested problem not only won't go away, it keeps getting worse or coming back strong even after a brief lull. It started with running, but something else is chronically irritating it. Tuesday's training added to the mounting evidence that it's related to extended periods of sitting. And seriously aggravated by any impact, and I mean anything. I don't dare even stamp my foot once in anger when the boys procrastinate getting ready for dinner!!

This can't go on. But I also can't lead my life not sitting! Sure, sometimes one's calling can't be fulfilled because of a physical limitation (such as, I'm as flexible as a block of concrete and would never make it as a dancer), but few injuries prevent writing!

I also can't lead my life without any impact. While few people understand why I'm so heartbroken about running, a relatively new aspect to my life, everyone will understand that not being able to dance is unthinkable. I even notice some extra buzzing after swimming or stationary weights exercises. There is just something wrong.

Speaking of sitting...or not. Melissa sent this photo today, of Katrina enjoying her favorite snack: grapes. The family daycare licensing doesn't allow high chairs (?!?!?!!!!???), so Katrina now sits in a regular chair at the table at Melissa's. I think she has a booster, but like Gabriel, I doubt it would bother her if she didn't.


I met with another contractor early this morning, took care of a few essential errands at home ("is the quote on the bay window in yet?" that sort of thing), took a short nap, then went to work feeling refreshed and cheerful and didn't even freeze to death all day. What a difference!

4/9/08

No comments: