Monday, May 19, 2008

5/19/08 The Meeting

Sort of a corporate meeting term, the "project kickoff" meeting.

That's what Dave and I had today with our contractor this afternoon, to talk about the big items to get started on our remodel. Permits, of course, are the biggest "gating item," but we talked about ways to "parallel process," so as to be ready to hit the ground running when permits come in. Demolition can start when temporary power is set up, and that should be around the second week of June, assuming we get our permits May 30. So our "action item" is to be out by June 7, our "drop-dead" date.

But first, music class. Katrina was in good form for the most part, though I nearly started a few tantrums by attempting to derail her shoe obsession, trying to get her to join the class. Don't I know better by now?


This new 17-month-old classmate capivates me, I'm not sure I've ever see a more stunningly beautiful toddler. Meaning no disrespect, she reminds me of Suri Cruise.


After music class, I went to my old longtime gym that I haven't been to in ages, to take my favorite Power Weights class. I ran into some old friends there and caught up briefly, including a friend with a boy kindergartner. She'd moved to Los Gatos partly for the better schools, but still isn't happy with them and wants to put her son in private school. He has a late birthday in 2001, so she held him back a year and says that it was the right choice, since he's doing so well academically. She said proudly that he reads at the level of a 7 or 8 year old, and that they do a lot of enrichment work with him after school.

About all I had to say about my kindergartner was, "uhh, yeah, well, he gets in trouble a lot." I just had absolutely nothing to relate to. I'm fine with public school, I'm not any more concerned about his academic development than any other aspects, I have no idea what age level he reads at, and I don't do enrichment work. Totally lame or totally relaxed? ....Don't answer that.

I went home and took a nap. There was no mistaking it by now....what started as a mild headache this morning had escalated. That explains why I found myself in a left-turn-only lane one street too soon this morning on the way to music class, not completely sure why it all looked so different. Why I couldn't quite yawning all morning. And, a new thing, why I was so cold after my nap, and have been so cold at work during this heat wave. D*MN IT! I got a glorious 6-day break after a nasty 15-day spell of migraine -- not again, not already! Fortunately it's OK tonight; I'm hoping this was a rare hours-long migraine that won't develop in another weeks-long one.

We're in the mad scramble to clean up tonight for house cleaners coming tomorrow -- it almost seems silly for them to do too good a job when most of what they will so diligently scrub will soon be carted out of here in pieces!

5/19/08

No comments: