Thursday, May 22, 2008

5/22/08 Tough Questions

In the last few weeks, I've gotten the big doozies:
"Where do babies come from?"

"What's war?"

"Who's God?"

Actually, in some ways the hardest one to answer is the one about war, because it's hard to make light of it. And hard to put them off, because it involves so many cool vehicles and things that blow up and -- yes -- death.

All of thequestions come from Julian, though it didn't take much to hook Gabriel on the war talk.

Today was God. Julian heard something on the radio as we were driving (I almost always listen to NPR) and asked, "Is God where good food comes from?" I said something like that Mother Nature makes food, and that God looked over nature. "Who is God?" he asked. "He's someone many people believe in," I answered, hoping not to be asked the obvious follow-up question. "Where is God?" "He's all around, all over, in the sky, in the trees, everywhere." "Is God here, right now?"

This actually was easier than talking about what bullets and bombs do, as I did last week. Fortunately, I found a way to describe what bombs do without it sounding too bad: blow up train tracks so that trains can't bring more bullets to the bad guys. (Gabriel wanted to know the train connection). Whew.

Super productive meeting with the kitchen designer and contractor together this morning. I couldn't follow most of it, but hearing them ask each other questions and figure out when, where and how to install and order things (dishwasher air gaps, hood liners, toe kicks, outlets etc), I could see one future problem after another getting solved -- prevented -- right before my eyes. A far, far cry from the upstairs remodel: the cabinetmaker telling me to order the cabinet after he'd measured the finished area; the carpenters telling me they'd sheetrock after the cabinets had arrived; me feeling left like I was the first person ever to try to get the people who build the walls and the people who put stuff in the walls to work at the same time.

This project is really going to go well. But I'm the weak link. I absolutely must have every faucet, bathtub, tile, doorknob, window, banister, paint color picked as soon as possible. Everything and the kitchen sink!

5/22/08

No comments: