Monday, July 06, 2009

7/6/09 Daycamps start

The new normal started today!

At least, for a week. The boys are in daycamps: Gabriel in an all-day Y camp (Lego Engineering); and Julian at a half-day multi-sports camp, through Skyhawks. And I'm off work for two weeks.

After dropping Gabriel off, I took Julian to his daycamp. I was dismayed to see how far away it is, not because it's far for a daycamp, but because it's far for a middle school. This camp is being held at the middle school we're zoned for, which isn't the one 3 minutes away from home and 30 seconds away from their current elementary school. The weird zoning around here puts us at this middle school, many, many annoying lights away, and a distant and dangerous bicycle ride too. Fooey. It wasn't even great for a daycamp, as there was not one scrap of shade to be seen. Fortunately it was a cool day.

Julian was the first to arrive, soon joined by two brothers, the younger of whom (age 4?) impressed me immediately with his smooth, competent stride. Even at such a young age, you can see big differences in natural ability (heck, Katrina's under-3 gymnastics class reveals those differences even more, not that that means much). The three early-bird boys had the young teenage counselors panting and out of breath within minutes of a hearty game of tag.


Katrina loved watching.


I took her to the Y, for her first diaper-free stay in the Y's Childwatch, which overall went well. She cried and refused to sit on the toilet there, but had gone at Julian's daycamp, so she was OK. She claimed not to like the Y, and was teary-eyed when I picked her up. Too bad girl, 'cause gym daycares are a staple in my life!

I had a really nice time alone with her at home before going to pick up Julian though. I really like being at home, and outside, and in the sun during a summer day. What a contrast to last week's cold, dark, isolated days at work.

Julian's daycamp groups doing the day's-end cheers.


Julian said enthusiastically that he had a great time and that he loved it! Gabriel did the same camp two years ago, and was so-so on it, but I had a feeling Julian would like it better, and he did. Julian's just more of a team sorta guy, I think. He mentioned that they learned to dribble a basketball, wouldn't tell me anything about the soccer other than they kicked a ball, but was very excited about the baseball. He excitedly said several times that they "tested" their throwing and that he threw the farthest in his group -- "way over the teacher's head!" he said proudly. Uncle Ronan will be psyched.

Katrina messed me up on naps again today, coming out of her room and pulling all the books off the bookshelf in the boys' room when she was supposed to be napping. So I brought her downstairs and gave up on today's nap....but soon, she got into one of her no-win fits: demanding milk, then throwing a major fit when I had the nerve to give her some. I put her up in her room again, read quietly on her bed while she flailed around in a tantrum, but she eventually calmed down. I left, and she fell asleep. Whew.

This dual-nap attempt set us late to get Gabriel, but he was having fun playing Connect-4 with some new friends -- or rather, opponents, knowing Gabriel. Katrina was resuming her grump mode, and refused to walk back to the car -- so Gabriel picked her up and carried her all the way out of the school's yard and to the car!


I guess I shouldn't have been surprised at how many smiles this brought on from onlookers.

He helped me a lot. At home, she demanded pasta, then refused to eat it -- until she agreed to try it when he offered to feed her.


(I have video of her demanding milk, and him getting it for her -- in a "Gabriel" cup no less, but YouTube is down right now.)

He's also her first choice to fix a stuck Lego, as she's not terribly patient: "FIX IT! FIX IT **NOW** MOMMY!" I direct her to Gabriel, her tone softens considerably, and he fixes it right away. What would I do without him?


I spent the afternoon moving furniture and boxes around in the guest suite, which left the main room open for running around and being silly (for now). Gabriel, after months of not touching the piano, picked it up again this morning. He had an audience from his biggest fans.


I like this "laddered" momming -- one kid in the morning, two in the afternoon, and three in the evening!

7/6/09

No comments: