Friday, April 04, 2008

4/4/08 The Haircut

This evening, I sent the boys to Outback to pick up dinner, while I fed Miss MopTop and then took her out for her first "real" hair trim. I wouldn't bother doing this, but her refusal to keep hairbands in is no longer a passing phase, and her hair is constantly in her eyes. And I know better than to attempt a trim myself.

She had a great time waiting, playing with the smattering of toys and books they had, not knowing what was in store.

But I knew. I was completely prepared for her to object (see previous note on sending the boys away). And oh boy did she.

Before. And after.

Fortunately she's not very strong and doesn't flail much, though she moved her head around so much that the lady who gave her a haircut had nicks all over her own hands afterward!

Still, though the lady gamely worked with this troublesome toddler, I wasn't happy with two things. One, the cut itself: it's sort of hacked-up in the front, as she took my asking for "wispy" bangs way too far, and I don't think she understood my request to make the bangs angle around Katrina's face, despite the technical challenges of trimming hair in motion. The bigger problem was that she didn't work very fast; a requirement!

Oh yeah, and when Katrina started to cry, the haircutter played her trump card immediately: "candy? candy?" and handed Katrina a lollipop! Little did she know that there was absolutely no way Mom was going to hand this child a sticky sharp weapon of Mom's destruction. Not to mention, Mom knew full well that no food was going to distract Katrina anyway.

I thought longingly to Julian's first haircut, when at 10 months old he sat in the haircut chair, by himself -- nervously, but quietly. He's never cried at a haircut. Gabriel...he cried so hard at his first haircut that it triggered my pregnant hormones to make me cry too!

Ah well, she got over it quickly, though I still don't like the cut much. Maybe I should have tried taking a little off the ends myself, though I don't have much experience with thin fine straight long(ish) hair, other than screwing it up royally twice.

Before we zoomed off this morning, Katrina "helped" Gabriel with his shoes. This delights him to no end.

(Look carefully on the left side of Gabriel's head and there's Julian, who got help from Katrina next with his clothes.)

Big progress! We got our construction drawings, our architect is submitting them to the city on Monday for permits, and I'm meeting with 3 contractors next week to start the bidding process. Yay!

4/4/08

No comments: