Monday, September 15, 2008

9/15/08 The bad word

Julian knows that "What the h*ll?!" is a bad word. Sometimes he shortens it to "What the---?" or "What the heck?!" Today he amended it a la Colonel Potter: "What the h-e-double-hockey-sticks?!"

Last night, Dave got Julian to play the piano and sing at the same time, by "reading" the little music book from his toy piano, both the little circled notes and the words. It's slow going and filled with mistakes, but it was still "A tisket a tasket." This afternoon, on his own, Julian tried again. To anyone else, the sounds are no doubt painful, but to me, it's literally music to my ears!

Katrina is still willing to sit on the potty, but she's forgotten all about her former production and thinks sitting on it is just a fun game. Tonight I sat her on the potty and got up to get a book, and as I returned, she was standing and staring at a puddle at her feet, puzzled. I showed her that some of the puddle had made it into the little potty, and she studied it quietly, then slowly smiled as I carried on with yays and claps and praise and kisses. The wheels were turning, the connections forming!

I just caught a major mistake in our remodeling...the framers framed the fireplace incorrectly, the cabinets around it were also wrong, but it took some messages and phone calls and reading installation manuals to straighten it out. I'm starting to forget what life is like when you live in your house instead of just work on it. It's ... h-e-double-hockey-sticks!

9/15/08

No comments: