Saturday, October 14, 2006

10/14/06 3-hour intervals

Yay! Yesterday's all-day wakeups and fusses turned into a stellar night, with baby waking up every 3 hours or so, and going right back to sleep after nursing.

Our first truly pink thing: another "Aunt Helen" blanket. Aunt Helen sent us one from Land's End for Gabriel years ago, and it was my favorite blanket. So now another one for Katrina, and with her name stitched on it! It's so soft, I love it. I took some photos to include in the thank-you note I must write soon.

We attempted a family photo session, but the boys were being impossible. The best shot Ryan was able to get didn't include Gabriel. But Ryan got lots of other fabulous shots, as usual, and with a very old Canon point-and-shoot camera. Just goes to show, it's not the equipment, it's the operator.

To my surprise, taking Katrina outside doesn't instantly turn off the tears as it did with her brothers. Nor does motion. We went for a short walk today with Katrina in the carseat/stroller, and she cried until she fell asleep. I assumed the moment the fresh air touched her face she'd relax and look around at the sky. Nope. It's amazing how every baby is so unique from the outset, yet the newborn stage of life is when people have the most in common too.

Finally got a shot of baby smiling in her sleep. So sweet! I had a lot of opportunity to catch the smile reflex on camera since she slept a LOT today. I'm apprehensive about tonight. I don't mind her being awake, but awake and crying is no fun in the middle of the night, and so far most of her awake time is spent crying.

As brand-new-newborns go, so far she's the hardest of the three, but I am experienced enough to know that doesn't mean a thing. It's all ages and stages, and each kid will present his or her own challenges at various times in their lives.

I'm a long, long way from physically rehabilitated, but absolutely thrilled that I can do things like sit curled up on the couch, bend down to pick things up without swooning, change direction quickly...it won't be long before I'll start exercising again. I can't wait!

Fingers crossed for tonight...

10/14/06

No comments: