Sunday, October 08, 2006

10/8/06 Katrina gets visitors

Last night was better. Katrina was still awake for much of it, but in the first part of the night we got some sleep.

I see a bad pattern emerging in which she wakes up and roots heavily, seeming like she wants to nurse, but then only nurses for a few minutes -- just enough to fall back to sleep. Then 20 minutes later, same thing. This is not good. For me, it just makes me very, very sore. For her, she isn't nursing long or well enough to get the good stuff, I think. I haven't seen a lot of wetness in her diapers, the real indicator. She nurses a lot better when it's been a few hours, as I can hear her swallowing. But what else do you do when your newborn baby is crying and rooting?

Today we had a nice visit from Sara & Saul (2 months old), then Tonya and her kids, and Kristi (who delivered us a yummy chicken casserole that we had for dinner -- thank you!), AND we talked to Bonne Maman on the phone. Whew! Katrina slept through all of it. A busy day.

Still, I think the visit she liked the most was the one with her older brother.

Gabriel was very cooperative about washing his hands and then sitting quietly while I got Katrina on his lap, where she was very content, and actually awake for once, for about 10 minutes.

After I took her back, he said he'd wait there in case she wanted to sit with him again. Awww!

Mom always said she loved fat baby legs. Not here! Katrina's legs are skinny, skinny, skinny.

We're bracing ourselves for a long night.

10/8/06

No comments: