Tuesday, February 26, 2008

2/26/08 The sweet boys

While Julian was having some post-dinner cookies tonight, he reached out his hand as I walked by, and took my hand. "What are you doing?" I asked him. "Nothing," he answered, "I just wanted to hold your hand...because I love you." Then he pulled me to him and gave me a smushy kiss on the cheek with his exquisite lips.

That was even more gratifying than the boys doing their pre-dinner chores without a struggle!

Tonight should have been horrible. I was woken up last night by stomach cramps, and felt awful and tired all day. I picked everyone up late, and hit all kinds of traffic, and got their dinner started late. Tonight is a pre-cleaners night, so, lots of work to straighten up for tomorrow, lots of bugging kids to put toys away. And, Dave went out to Tuesday Dinner, so I got to do everything by myself.

But despite the odds stacked against me, there were no showdowns, no tears, no fights -- much nudging to get putzy boys to clean up toys -- but lots of fun time spent talking, looking at things together, playing music and talking about the song in Spanish, watching Katrina "dance" (sort of a bopping up and down, not in the least rhythmic but full of joy), and just good clean fun together. I'm exhausted, I'd have liked some downtime, but I feel good and happy about the evening and some really nice time with my children (including the fun post-bath chase of a naked giggling Katrina).

And my cheek is still glowing from that wonderful kiss!

2/26/08

No comments: