Wednesday, February 27, 2008

2/27/08 Now it's the knees

I forced myself to go to the Y tonight, in a futile attempt to lift the firmly entrenched drear from my spirit tonight. I'm not sure why, but I'm inconsolably blue today, I think largely because of the sense of intense pressure to settle on windows and doors by Monday, so as not to hold up our project. It sounds silly now that I write it out, but it's been weighing tremendously on me. Impending remodeling is such a big cloud looming in one's future (still a few weeks away from structural and construction drawings).

I've been making myself do the elliptical machine for 20 minutes, but tonight I felt twinges in my knees. I know from experience that the elliptical does that to me, as do step classes. Is there nothing safe?! I don't have knee problems!

It's so unfair, so many common injuries from long-term running I never even got to, because of whatever's wrong with my ankle tendons. The same physical characteristics that hampered me as a dancer make me a perfect runner (my first ballet teacher described me as "tightly knit," a nice way of saying "dream on, honey") -- except for this overuse injury. And, as much as everyone likes to remind me that I'm getting on in years (something I alternately deny and acknowledge as it's convenient), overuse injuries are most common in younger athletes who don't have other impediments to their athletic endeavors, such as long-term injuries yet; lack of time, lack of energy, or lack of childcare. In other words, this ankle problem is in addition to all the other problems related to getting older.

Work has its interesting moments but overall isn't exciting. My usual outlet of exercise is frustrating because it's not enough -- I want to run. Remodeling is in one of those annoying tension-producing phases, something to be expected, but depressing nonetheless. I don't know what to change, and just have to chalk this up to one of those lulls in life.

I did do one thing today I'm really happy about, but you'll find out about that tomorrow.

Meantime, and especially on a blue day, my children are a continuing source of grounding and reminders of the cheerful, energetic, optimistic sides of life. It could easily go the other way, especially if Gabriel gets into a snit, but both boys were very sweet tonight. I especially enjoyed picking Julian up today, he was having so much fun playing outside with some friends, and was full of boisterous joy. I don't say that often about him! It makes me like Kids Inc a lot -- it's not an impressive place to visit, but Julian is thriving and happy.

Katrina spent the afternoon at Tonya's today. More and more she's getting to the point where she needs peers. At 16 months old, she too is thriving with the personal attention and care Melissa showers on her, but I think it will be time for a change come summer.

In fact, I'm thinking July will be a good month to make lots of changes -- take a month off work, pull all 3 out of daycare, take a trip back East, do some daytrips and fun things with the kids, and maybe put the boys in one or two weeklong daycamps for some variety. Julian so loved the Y daycamps last year.

(Maybe a music daycamp for Gabriel. He keeps showing surprising interest in music, like today latching on to a Santana instrumental on the radio, and wanting to know all about how "kitars" make notes. Tonight he said wanted to make up his own songs and write them down, though he couldn't think of one at the moment. Piano lessons, next Parks & Rec session!)

Then in August, it all picks back up again. I may have to decide to go back to Covad as a part-time employee, rather than a contractor (or not at all). Katrina will be pushing 2, opening up more childcare options, and changing her needs to be in a (small) group setting. And in August, Gabriel starts FIRST GRADE!! OH MY ***G-O-D**** !!!!!! (yes, I'm actually screaming).

Katrina had a grand time tonight with a simple thing: a basket of fruit leather. She loves taking groups of like objects and putting them in and out of containers. Julian earned himself a fruit-leather dessert (that boy can eat!), and Katrina caught sight of the basket and that was it. As is always the case with her, her intensity of fun playing with it was matched by the intensity of her protest when it was time to put it away to go up to bed. My little pistol.

OK, I feel better now, at your expense, dear reader. More good tomorrow.

2/27/08

No comments: