Friday, February 29, 2008

2/29/08 Zumba

We went out to dinner tonight (a rare occurrence), because I didn't feel like cooking or cleaning (a frequent occurrence). Despite an overtired time-bomb toddler, it worked out surprisingly well. Katrina loves the fried rice at our favorite Japanese restaurant, so the rice, teriyaki chicken and tempura kept her busy long enough for us to have dinner and make a polite exit. In fact, it was the boys starting to get wound up that made us expedite, as they'd run out of edamame to dismember.

Incredibly, I had enough time after dinner to make it to a Zumba class at the Y tonight. I've never done done Zumba, a cardio exercise class that uses Latin-style dancing, but I've watched it enough to want to try it. But, I wasn't crazy about the teacher I had tonight. She committed some cardinal sins of dance teachers: inaccurate cueing, inconsistent arms, demonstrating off the beat (!). She did fall short of the ultimate sin of a dance teacher: wasting my time, but I think I'll try a different Zumba class next time. I haven't done much Latin dancing, so I just don't have the moves, but they sure are fun to try.

This class was a bit of a thumbing-my-nose at my ankle tendons too, just to say, "so THERE, I'm going to have fun no matter what you say!" Unfortunately, I think I can already tell they're going to have the final word.

Julian keeps doing this silly jump, in which he runs and then jumps with one foot. He's been doing it for days, and just today explained that Aidan, my friend Hillary's 12-year-old son, showed him how to do a "skateboard jump" when they were visiting 2 weekends ago.

Hmm....skateboard...hmmm.....

Gabriel's teacher sent an email to his whole class that said she's recommending a few students for summer school, and had attached information about it inside those kids' Friday Folders. What is it about teachers that have such power over us? As soon as I saw this, I rushed to Gabriel's folder with my heart pounding to see if he was among them. No, but there was a comment on his weekly "report card" (sort of) that his behavior has been better. Oh yeah, that problem -- potentially a much bigger deal than needing summer school.

2/29/08 (happy leap year!)

No comments: